Sunday, November 23, 2008

No racing today.

I've raced 13 times over the last 10 weeks. I was very happy not racing this weekend. Part of me missed not pinning on a number (rather Kathy pinning it on for me), and lining up at the start line with the same 35 ugly dudes. The other part of me was very happy to sleep in, rake leaves, work around the house, and ride 50 miles of fixed gear. Today's ride was perfect. The kind of weather you dream about. 50 and sunny. Bibs, baselayers, ss jersey and vest. Paired with some mild embrocation. My absolute favorite attire.
It's hard to take racing too seriously. It's something I absolutely love to do, I know I'll never be that good, but it's one of the things that keeps me going each week. Not that my job is a tough one, but it's good to have something to look forward to. I love seeing hundreds of people lining up week after week, paying for 45 minutes of pain. I feel it's my job to get people to the races. Make sure they are dressed properly, their bikes are dialed in, and they know what they're doing. Each week, I have more and more customers that express interest in racing. Whether it's the local sprint triathlon, or a 'cross race. But, more than the aspiring racer, I like the new rider. The customer that pulled their '93 Huffy out of their parent's basement to ride with friends. Or the middle age parent that wants to ride with their kids. These are the people that keep me going. It's not the carbon fiber, shaved legged roadie. They know, or should know, what they're doing. I'm here to put more people on bikes, whether I sold them the bike or not. The more people that ride bikes, the more paths and trails we have, and the more racers that show up at races. It's a beautiful cycle. And I'm at the heart of it.